REALTORS® face job-related risks every day—working alone, meeting with strangers in unfamiliar places, and sharing personal contact information. While independence is one of the perks of our industry, it can leave agents open to vulnerabilities.
In an ongoing effort to keep safety top-of-mind for members, the National Association of REALTORS dedicates September as REALTOR® Safety Month. Our aim: Help REALTORS® make it home safely to their family every night.
Did you know:
- 33% of REALTORS® experienced a situation that made them fear for their personal safety or safety of their personal information.
- The typical REALTOR® reported feeling unsafe less than once a year (54%) in terms of personal safety, but unsafe in terms of personal information every few months or more often (61%).
- 5% of REALTORS® said they had been a victim of a crime while working as a real estate professional.
- 44% of members choose to carry self-defense weapons.
- 35% of men and 49% of women carry a self-defense weapon or tool.
- 53% of members use a smartphone safety app to track whereabouts and alert colleagues in case of an emergency.
Check out the latest SAFETY REPORT